Since 2017, the Canadian Evaluation Society’s e-Institute has been offering self-paced and facilitated online, bilingual professional development courses. Designed by and for evaluators, these courses further the development of evaluation competencies and reflect CES member needs, recent developments in the field, and gaps in professional development offerings.
A range of courses are available – and more are being developed – to build your evaluation knowledge. From the fundamentals of evaluation to advanced methods and technical skills, e-Institute courses are relevant for all types of learners, including:
- Evaluation Explorers – you’re considering moving into the field of evaluation, and want to get a sense of what it’s all about.
- Evaluation Newcomers – you’re looking for the fundamentals of evaluation, including theories and models of evaluation, to grow your knowledge base or solidify your practice.
- Unintentional Evaluators – you’re working in the policy, governance, or civil society space and need the skills to conduct or manage project or program reviews, assessments, and evaluations.
- Self-Taught Evaluators – you’ve been practicing evaluation for a number of years already, but maybe missed some of the theoretical foundations, or want to improve or add new skills.
- Mid-Level Evaluators and Prospective CEs – you’re established in the field of evaluation, but want to refresh or expand your knowledge on specific areas of practice. You may also be preparing to apply to become a Credentialed Evaluator.
- Advanced and Credentialed Evaluators (CEs) – you no longer remember how long it’s been since you started working in evaluation, but want to stay current with new developments in the field. e-Institute courses also count towards fulfilling the requirements for maintaining your Credentialed Evaluator (CE) designation.
Self-Paced vs. Facilitated
The e-Institute offers self-paced and facilitated courses. With three months to complete a self-paced course, you have the flexibility to review the materials on your own schedule. Facilitated courses (currently offered for Essential Skills Series) allow you to get personalized feedback from the facilitator, and ask questions on the discussion boards or during virtual office hours.
What Do Learners Receive?
You will receive a Certificate of Completion upon successful achievement of all course units and required learning activities. In addition, you can download the list of references and weblinks used in each course.
The e-Institute is overseen by a volunteer Director appointed by the CES National Board. A part-time contracted Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations including marketing, and a Registrar handles course registrations and provides learners and facilitators with access to the online platform.
A Curriculum Advisory Board and course-specific reference groups guide the development and approval of courses. Courses are chosen to further the development of evaluation competencies and reflect CES member needs, recent developments in the field, and gaps in professional development offerings.
The CES e-Institute welcomes ideas on new courses. If you are currently delivering courses that you think would work for the e-Institute, talk to us about licensing agreements by getting in touch here!
We are happy to work with like-minded organizations to develop tailored trainings or provide reciprocal discounts for evaluation-related learning opportunities. For all partnership-related queries, contact us here.
Get in Touch
If you’re interested in learning more about the e-Institute’s training opportunities, including group rates and facilitated cohorts, email us here.
For updates on the e-Institute’s new courses and special offerings sign up for our mailing list.
For general inquiries please use the contact form below.
Send A Message
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked.