Course begins October 1, 2019
The CES e-Institute is pleased to offer a series of courses to help you maximize the use of excel in your evaluation work.
Through a partnership with Ann Emery, a renowned excel and data viz trainer (aka guru), Great Graphs walks you through a step-by-step design process. You’ll learn how to customize your visualization for your audience; choose the right chart for your message; declutter your visuals so that viewers’ attention is focused on the data; reinforce your branding with custom colour palettes and typography; and increase accessibility by ensuring that your visuals are legible for people with colour vision deficiencies. Finally, you’ll learn to tell a story through dark colours (saturation), explicit titles, and call-out boxes (annotations).
Estimated Time to Complete: 20 hours with one year access to course materials
Prerequisites: Working knowledge of Excel
Evaluation Competencies addressed: [ ] reflective; [X] technical;  situational; [ ] management; [ ] interpersonal.
Great Graphs will help you create your own before/after data visualization makeovers.
The course includes:
- 1,200 lessons delivered through 20 hours of video
- Monthly “office hours” sessions
- Downloadable spreadsheets, templates, & handouts
- Software-agnostic data visualization principles
- Before/after makeovers inspired by research, evaluation, and analytics teams like yours
- Examples from a variety of industries (public health, government, education, grantmaking, international development, hospitals, universities, and more)
- Practical how-tos in Excel, PowerPoint, Tableau, & R
- A team of 14 instructors
- Yearlong access to course materials.
Check out the full list of course topics.
Registering through the e-Institute gives you access to optional monthly “office hour” sessions and Ann’s e-book. This works out to just over $100 in value-add support.
Feel like you need basic excel skills, enroll in Simple Spreadsheets, next course will be offered in Spring 2020.